City of Decatur - Charter, Sec. 2.04. - Qualifications.
(a) Candidates. Each person who becomes a candidate for Mayor or Councilmember shall meet the following qualifications:
(1) be at least twenty-one (21) years of age on the first day of the form to be filed or date of appointment;
(2) be a citizen of the United States;
(3) be a qualified voter of the City;
(4) reside and have resided for at least twelve (12) months preceding the election within the corporate limits of the City;
(5) no candidate may file for more than one office or position number per election;
(6) no employee of the City shall continue in such position after becoming a candidate for a City elective office.
(b) When any member of the Council no longer possesses all of the qualifications specified in this section, or is convicted of a felony or any offense involving moral turpitude while in office, the office shall immediately and automatically become vacant. The Council shall be the judge of the qualifications of its members in accordance with Section 2.08(b) and for these purposes shall have the power to subpoena witnesses and require the production of records.
Forms and information for the 2022 City of Decatur General Election will be available in the City Secretary’s Office located at 201 E. Walnut Street, at City Hall building.
NOTICE - FUTURE ELECTIONS
City Council Places 2, 4 and 6 will next be elected on May 6, 2023 (first Saturday in May). The filing period begins on January 18, 2023 with a February 17, 2023 deadline to file applications for a place on the ballot.
To translate this page to another language, please click on the Google Translate button at the bottom of the page and pick from the drop-down menu.
Para traducir esta página a otro idioma, haga clic en el botón Traductor de Google en la parte inferior de la página y seleccione del menú desplegable.