Located on the corner of East Mill Street and South Church Street, Harmon Park is an elaborate park with a massive play ground and 2 little league baseball fields. On the outside of the park is a small skate park.
There are full restroom facilities along with a concession stand for baseball games. It's a great place to take the kids and let them run around.
Harmon park was originally donated in 1927 by William E. Harmon and his foundation, the Harmon Foundation. William Harmon was a national philanthropist. He donated his time and money to a multitude of worthy causes.
His main efforts focused on donation of parks to under privileged communities, civil rights, and helping young men to better themselves. His foundation purchased thousands of African-American pieces of art and poetry to create a traveling art show. This show promoted both the artists and the push for civil rights. In the Boy Scouts, Mr. Harmon awarded scholarships to young men that displayed "conspicuous and unselfish service" to the community.
William Harmon died in 1928 (1 year after donating the land for the park). His art collection can now be seen at the Smithsonian Institution and at the National Portrait Gallery.