Driving Safety Course Information
Qualifying for Defensive Driving
The following offenses do not qualify for defensive driving:
- Speeding 25 miles (or more) over the posted limit.
- Passing a school bus.
- Moving violation within a posted construction zone while workers are present.
- Was operating a commercial motor vehicle and committed a serious traffic violation.
- Leaving the scene of an accident.
- You have a commercial driver's license (even if you were operating your personal vehicle).
Requirements for Driving Safety Course
- You must submit a copy of your valid Texas driver license.
- You must submit a copy of valid proof of insurance with you listed as a named driver or rated driver on the policy.
- You cannot have completed a driver safety course for a citation in the past twelve months anywhere in the state of Texas.
- You must submit payment of your Court Costs at the time of your request. Court Costs for non-school zone violations is $109.10 and Court Costs for those offenses which occurred in a school zone are $134.10.
You must submit the copies of your driver’s license, proof of insurance, Court Costs, and a request either in person or via certified mail on or before your appearance date on the bottom of your citation.
Driving Safety is a legal right once every 12 months, but only if you follow the specific rules set forth in the C.C.P Art. 45.0511 of the Texas statutory law. Please note that if you chose to mail your driving safety request through the mail, it will not be considered "timely filed" and perfected unless it is postmarked on or before the appearance date printed on the bottom of your citation, and sent vial CERTIFIED MAIL/GREEN CARD RECEIPT REQUESTED.
DO NOT sign up for a Driver Safety Course until you have a written court order, from the judge, allowing you to participate in the Driver Safety Program. Driver Safety Certificates taken prior to your order or after the due date, may not be accepted by the Judge of the Court.
You will be required to obtain your driving record from the Department of Public Safety. You must purchase the 3A Version ($12), as this is the only driving record accepted for the Driver Safety Course. To order your driving record go to texas.gov, or CLICK HERE. Please ensure you are connected to a printer and pay careful attention to the checklist and system requirements.
There two companies that have been approved by the State of Texas to electronically file you Driving Safety documentation directly with the City of Decatur Municipal Court of Record:
ExpressLane Defensive Driving, and
Comedy Defensive Driving
This means that these two companies will, immediately upon your completion of the Driver Safety Course, submit your Driving Record and Driver Safety Certificate to us electronically, saving you time. Going through either of these companies can make obtaining your driving safety documents a one step process.
You have 90 days to complete the course and return the required documents to the court. Once your certificate and driving record are returned to the Court by the due date, your citation will be dismissed.
Please be sure that you have read and understand the above listed requirements and that when requesting by mail that you have included all required documents and included your payment for Court Costs. Any late or incomplete submissions will not be granted by the Judge of the Court.